Store associates typically receive some type of training that is supposed to help them do their job better, but are they being trained on the type of course content they want and in a timely manner? Store personnel are the ones who engage with customers, so they know best what training they need to better help customers – why not ask them what kind of training they prefer and when they want it?
We recently surveyed U.S. retail sales associates about their training content preferences, and results overwhelmingly show that what they want most is more product knowledge, provided as often as daily.
The types of content associates want.
Of over 800 store associates we surveyed on retail training content preferences, nearly 80% of them prefer training relating to a brand’s current product lineup, followed closely by product comparisons at 71%. In third and fourth place, 60% of users want training on sales tips and tricks, and hands-on/demo videos. It’s clear that store associates would like (or see value in) more training on a brand’s products to be able to make appropriate recommendations to fulfill customer needs. Let’s take a look at the categories.
- Current product lineup overview: this is the number one category that store associates prefer training on because keeping up to date with each brand’s current products is essential. New products are constantly being launched and consumers expect store personnel to be well-informed on these products.
- Product comparisons: since there are many products a brand can sell, it’s fundamental to be able to compare the specs on each product, to be able to qualify their customer and make the best recommendation.
- Sales tips and tricks: knowing a product’s features and specs is one thing, but it’s also important for retail personnel to be efficient salespeople and know the basics of how to make a sale.
- Hands-on/demo videos: if you’re a visual learner then videos showcasing the actual product are extremely beneficial. It’s easier for store associates to talk to a customer about a product when they know exactly what’s in the box and have seen how the product works.
- Brand story: while training on a brand’s story was the least preferred, nearly 50% of associates still want to better understand the brands they sell, including their history and values. This allows associates to connect with a brand on a deeper level which ultimately helps their customers do the In fact, according to the 2020 Consumer Culture report, 71% of consumers prefer buying from brands that align with their values. This statistic is going up as each new generation chooses companies based on shared values.
How often associates want content.
A common misconception is that sales associates don’t want to see training content too often because they’ll get burnt out and stop engaging. We surveyed 1000 retail sales associates and 75% want to see branded content daily or multiple times a week. Branded content includes micro-learning courses, virtual webinars, and reference tools. The more brand content a sales associate can engage with, the more they are going to retain it and ultimately recommend it.
How associates want to consume content.
It makes sense that associates want content as often as daily, since consuming content has never been easier when it’s always at their fingertips – their phone. The chart below shows over 55% of retail sales associates surveyed on SellPro prefer to receive training on their mobile device compared to in-person or traditional PC eLearning.
Being able to hop on your phone to take a quick course is more convenient than attending an in-person training event or setting aside an hour to complete a PC based course. Recently, we’ve seen that the best way to reach, connect, and train retail personnel is through their mobile device and it will be the future for training programs.
Product knowledge is power.
So, store associates want product related training as often as possible via their mobile device. Are they benefiting from receiving content that often? YES! A whopping 92% of store associates on SellPro say that they have received better product knowledge by using SellPro and 52% have closed more sales. This is a beautiful cycle – store personnel want training on products as often as daily and then benefit from more product knowledge and close more sales. Rinse and repeat.
SellPro aims at creating the best mobile engagement and training solution where associates can fully expand their knowledge in a fun way. Over 78% of the SellPro user base says we’re better than other retail learning platforms they use.
To see how SellPro can help support your brand advocacy and retail training efforts, request a free demo now.
We write to help you train retail personnel better and increase retail sales. Sign up to get notified every time we post something new.